Jason Moran, Henry Threadgill and Matana Roberts are among those recognised and given substantial awards from America's Doris Duke Charitable Foundation.
Eight jazz artists are among those named as recipients of substantial awards from America’s Doris Duke Charitable Foundation. These awards are given, “in recognition of their creative vitality and ongoing contributions to the fields of dance, jazz and theatre.” Each will receive $275,000 funding spread over several years, financial and legal assistance, professional development and learning opportunities.
Doris Duke Charitable Foundation award recipients:
- Dave Douglas - trumpeter, composer and record label owner
- Fred Hersch - pianist and composer
- Wayne Horvitz - keyboardist, composer and producer
- Jason Moran - pianist and composer
- Matana Roberts - saxophonist and composer
- Jen Shyu - vocalist, multi-instrumentalist, composer and dancer
- Wadada Leo Smith - trumpeter and composer
- Henry Threadgill - saxophonist and composer