A new tribute album will be dedicated to the ‘King of Slide Guitar’
An all-star cast of musicians are set to pay tribute to the bluesman Elmore James on what would have been his 100th birthday. The new album release is called ‘Strange Angels – in flight with Elmore James’ and features the likes of Tom Jones, Warren Haynes, Billy Gibbons, Betty LaVette and Keb Mo, playing iconic James tunes like ‘Shake Your Moneymaker,’ ‘Look on Yonder Wall,’ and ‘Person to Person’.
Elmore was known as ‘the king of the slide guitar’, but also sang most of his own tunes. Highly regarded by the likes of Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, The Allman Brothers and many more, he died in 1963 at the age of 45. The producers say they want to celebrate a pioneer on his centenary – the 27 January.
All of the profits for ‘Strange Angels’ will go to US charity MusicCares, who provide resources and attention to human service issues that directly impact the health and welfare of the music community, and Edible Schoolyard NYC, who partner with public schools to provide garden and kitchen classes.
More info at: www.elmorejamesstrangeangels.com
And more tracks and tributes with David Freeman’s Blues and Boogie Show this Sunday (7 January)
1. Can’t Stop Lovin' You - Elayna Boynton
2. Person to Person - Bettye LaVette
3. Shake Your Money Maker - Rodney Crowell
4. Done Somebody Wrong - Tom Jones
5. Mean Mistreatin' Mama - Warren Haynes w/ Billy Gibbons & Mickey Raphael
6. Dust My Broom - Deborah Bonham
7. It Hurts Me Too - Jamey Johnson
8. Strange Angels - Shelby Lynne & Allison Moorer
9. Look On Yonder Wall - Keb Mo’
10. My Bleeding Heart - Mollie Marriott
11. Hawaiian Boogie - Chuck E. Weiss
12. Dark and Dreary - Addi McDaniel
13. Bobby’s Rock - Elmore’s Latest Broomdusters