This Christmas and New Year on Jazz FM
Comedians Marcus Brigstocke and Rachel Parris join Jazz FM for Christmas, plus there's a welcome return for blues musician and broadcaster Paul Jones, while Omar and The Brand New Heavies bring in 2020!
Self-confessed “jazz dweeb” Marcus Brigstocke will join us for two special programmes. On Christmas Day from 1pm, he’ll be joined by comedian wife Rachel Parris, as they celebrate their first Christmas together as a married couple by playing some of the world’s greatest music, whilst trying to prove who has the better jazz record collection.
Marcus will also guest host the last ‘The Blue Train’ show. Airing on Saturday 28th December at 9pm, the show will feature a selection of handpicked music from Blue Note.
Additionally, on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, families around the UK will have a perfect soundtrack for tucking into Christmas delights with Jazz FM’s Dinner Jazz Takeovers. Hosted by bestselling singer Stacey Kent and jazz-loving author Ian Rankin OBE respectively, listeners can expect a playlist of relaxing classic jazz from 6pm on both evenings.
On New Year’s Eve, Omar Lye-Fook MBE and The Brand New Heavies will see in the Big Ben bongs alongside Jazz FM’s John Osborne and Sarah Ward with a commercial free party soundtrack from 6pm until 1am.
On New Year’s Day, after a 2-hour Quiet Storm special from Jeff Young (9am), Paul Jones returns to Jazz FM to present a selection of music encompassing Jazz, Blues, Latin, Soul and much more. Known as one the UK’s most talented blues musicians, Paul is also one of Jazz FM’s original presenters having joined the station when it launched in 1990 until 2004. With 3 decades at the BBC, Paul now returns for this one-off 3 hour special, airing at 11am on New Year’s Day.
Paul Jones said “It’s been very nearly 16 years since I was on Jazz FM so I’m very happy to be back for a New Year’s Day special. The fact is I was part of the original line-up in 1990, so it’s an honour to help kick off the station’s 30th birthday year. Music wise, I’m looking forward to stretching out for three hours with some of the best jazz and blues music, new and old.”
Marcus Brigstocke said “I couldn’t be more excited to be at Jazz FM. I’ll be sharing some of my favourite artists and records with fellow jazz heads and recounting some of the stories that link them all together. Jazz FM asked me to pick out my favourite Blue Note Records for a ‘Blue Train’ session - you might as well ask a parent which is their favourite child. I made a list and then crossed out 100 of them to leave the very best.”
Full Jazz FM Christmas and New Year programme details...
Sunday 22nd December
- Jez Nelson’s celebration of the mighty ECM Record Label 50th Anniversary, 10pm
- Sarah Ward’s Christmas Collection – the perfect soundtrack to wrap those final presents and countdown to midnight, 9pm
- Husband and wife comedian team Marcus Brigstocke and Rachel Parris play some excellent Christmas jazz and battle out who has the better record collection, from 1pm
- Christmas Requests with Jamie Crick (famous faces choosing some favourite songs alongside listener selections) on Christmas Day afternoon, from 3pm
- Dinner Jazz takeover with bestselling singer Stacey Kent, from 6pm
- Kind of Blue @ 60 - 60th anniversary celebration of Miles Davis ‘Kind of Blue’ (rpt), from 9pm
- Performance Series Special with Ruth Fisher: two hours of Jazz FM live sessions from 2019 to close off Christmas Day, from 10pm
- Dinner Jazz takeovers with bestselling author Ian Rankin OBE, from 6pm
- Time Out @ 60 - 60th anniversary celebration of Dave Brubeck Quartet ‘Time Out’ (rpt), from 9pm
- Tony Minvielle’s LA Stories – two hours unpacking the jazz explosion in the city in recent years and meeting some of the main forces behind it, direct from Los Angeles from 10pm
Saturday 28th December
- Comedian Marcus Brigstocke is back and demonstrates his immense jazz passion and knowledge in the final “The Blue Train” celebratory Blue Note programme, from 9pm
New Year’s Eve
- A New Year’s Eve party with Sarah Ward’s Jazz Travels global music party special (6-7pm), John Osborne (7-9pm) then superstar guest hosts Omar Lye-Fook MBE (9-11pm) and The Brand New Heavies (11pm-1am)
New Year’s Day
- Jeff Young’s Quiet Storm on New Year’s Day to ease you into 2020, 9am
- The Return of Paul Jones to Jazz FM after a 15-year absence – hosting three hours of January blues, jazz, latin and soul and much more besides, from 11am